The Faculty offers programs leading toward bachelor, master and PhD degrees.
In December 2019 there are about 951 students majoring in mathematics. Each year the Faculty admits around 250 new students. Among these students around 30 students are selected to join the Honor class, which receives separate instructions.
During the first three semesters a student is required to take mandatory courses, which provide fundamental background in Calculus, Analysis, Linear Algebra, Differential Equations, Computer Science and other general requirements. From the fourth semester the student should choose an area of concentration.
The program is credit-based, offering plenty of optional courses and many areas of concentrations. Many students choose the option of writing a senior thesis, thereby getting research experience.
Graduate of our programs went to diverse areas, in academic, research, teaching, industry, business, and government service.
NOTABLE RECENT ALUMNI
- Nguyễn Thị Hoàng Oanh, BS 2011, postdoc Princeton University
- Nguyễn Quang Huy, BS 2012, postdoc Princeton University
- Nguyễn Mạnh Tiến, BS 2014, Ecole polytechnique (ingénieur), PhD student Université Libre de Bruxelles
- Huỳnh Mạnh Khang, BS 2015, PhD student University of California Los Angeles
- Phạm Thế Doanh, BS 2016, PhD student Rutgers University
- Vũ Hoàng Minh Quân, BS 2017, PhD student Vanderbilt University
There are 179 master students in December 2019. The normal duration for a master program is 2 years. Most master students are required to write a dissertation for the degree.
In addition the Faculty also operates the Vietnamese-French Master Program in Applied Mathematics. In this program instructions are mostly given by French professors in English language, and many students receive fellowships to go to France to write master dissertations. More information can be found here.
The Faculty has 47 PhD students in December 2019. The PhD program is research-based, the main requirement being published research results.